Safety and convenience will be key features of Gautrain’s dedicated Bus Link. This state-of-the-art Bus Link will provide quick transport between Gautrain stations and surrounding suburbs.
For ultimate reliability, there will be a bus every 12 minutes during peak hour. Thereafter, passengers can expect an 18 minute wait. Passengers are also assured that they can look forward to a world-class service that is always on time.
A total of 125 buses will serve Gautrain passengers on 36 routes in a radius of 15 kilometers from each station. These buses will be integrated with new municipal Bus Links called the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) network. In this way, passengers will be able to use convenient door-to-door public transport. For passengers that still need to rely on their cars to drive to a Gautrain station, ample parking will be provided.
To ensure convenience and safety for its passengers, the Gautrain Bus Link will provide secure bus stops with overhead shelters. The bus shelters will be placed every 500 meters in built-up areas so that passengers only need to walk a short distance to access transport. Timetables will be clearly displayed at all the bus shelters.
The Gautrain Bus Link will be operational from Mondays to Fridays, excluding public holidays. Here are some of its world-class features:
- Automatic doors
- Air conditioning
- Digital displays
- Integrated ticketing whereby passengers can conveniently purchase a single ticket for both the bus and the rail fare.
- Only valid ticket holders will be allowed on buses as automated technology is used to verify tickets
- A fleet of brand new buses that will be renewed every ten years
- Satellite tracking
- Gautrain branding
- Radio communication with the Operations Control Centre in Midrand
- Personal Address system
- Low entrance floors, wide doorways and folding ramps to facilitate the movement of wheelchairs and those with walking difficulties
- At least two emergency exits
- Provision for passengers with wheelchairs by providing positions inside the buses fitted in accordance with the best practice designs available
- Buses will be cleaned and stored safely at the bus depot in Midrand every night
- Regular maintenance at the bus depot